Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Piranha!

 I recently heard reports of a piranha that had been caught by a fisherman in Rice Lake. I didn't believe it. Scratch that.

I didn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it. Piranha!? RICE LAKE!?

So I turned to the perpetual fount of wisdom: The Interwebs.

[update: it bears mentioning that the "hearing" was recent, not the reports, nor the actual catching of said fish, which by all accounts happened in 2007. Though I did hear that another was caught this year- but that hasn't been verified]

Before long I happened upon these photos of the fish posted to a local fishing forum by a user named Blue_Axela (to whom I'd give credit for these photos, if only I knew who he/she was):

That, my friends, is a piranha.

And not a small one either.
Check out the size of this sucker!


Eeeeeeee.

Now, the word on the forums is that these fish do survive in fresh water, but don't survive the winter freeze. Also, in isolation, they are not an aggressive fish; rather the opposite.

I'm not sure I want to test that hypothesis, however.

Gyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment